Expression of Interest
We are always accepting applications, however availability is always changing. Please check back regularly to see if new postings are available.
Thank you for your interest in partnering with Habitat for Humanity Southeast BC.
I’m partnering? Yes! Habitat for Humanity Southeast BC partners with lower to moderate income families to help them achieve strength, stability, and independence through affordable homeownership. The path to homeownership requires time and dedication, but this helps ensure the long-term success of the families.
Our motto is: a hand up, not a hand out.
Do people get free homes? No. Homeowners make regular payments to their mortgage and are responsible for the maintenance of their home, as all homeowners are. A Habitat mortgage differs from a traditional mortgage in that payments are set at a maximum of 30% of gross household income. As your income changes, so will your payments.
There are three other criteria we look for in all applicants:
There must be a need for adequate housing. Things we consider include unaffordable rent, overcrowding, housing issues that affect the wellbeing, health, or safety of the family. Applicants must be first time homebuyers and currently live in rental housing.
Ability to repay a mortgage
Families need to demonstrate their ability to pay an affordable mortgage and sound financial management, including:
- Stable employment income
- Responsible debt management
- Fair or better credit report on Equifax Credit
- Any bankruptcy or consumer proposal must have been discharged for at least three (3) years
- The family’s Gross Household Income must be sufficient to cover the cost of homeownership for the specific project
- Applicants and co-applicants will be asked to submit several documents to support financial status, including but not limited to current employment proof, debt statements, a current credit report and asset statements.
There are limits on your family income to qualify based on the area you are applying. Please note, that we still encourage you to apply if you are outside of the limits but close to meeting them.
- Castlegar: $48,000 - $90,000 per year
- Grand Forks: $35,000 - $55,000 per year
Willingness to partner
There must be a willingness to partner with Habitat Southeast BC. You must be willing to complete 500 volunteer hours. There are many ways to complete your volunteer hours, such as: assisting on the build site, in the ReStore, at events – just to name a few. We work with families to help them find ways to complete their volunteer hours.
I am interested! What do I do next?
Please submit the following expression of interest form. Upon receiving the form, the homeowner services department will be in touch within a maximum of three weeks’ time.