Current Housing Projects
Castlegar Project: 560 – 8th Street
Project at a Glance
- Address: 560 8th Street Castlegar
- Affordable homeownership for 4 Castlegar low to moderate income families
- An opportunity for 4 families to build equity in their home
- A more secure and stable place to sleep for up to 14 Castlegar residents
- Funded by Habitat for Humanity and funding partners to be announced. Land provided by City of Castlegar.
- Two, 3-bedroom units (1400sf + unfinished basement) and two, 2-bedroom units (940 - 1000sf)
- One fully accessible units for families with mobility challenges
- Outside access for each unit
- BC Step Code 3 Energy Efficiency
- 7 parking stalls
- Bicycle storage
- Outside common area
- Waterwise (xeriscape) landscaping
- Public Pedestrian Right of Way
- You can help by –
- giving funds to support the project costs
- giving building materials or other needed goods to support the project
- giving your skills and time as a volunteer on the project build site
- giving your time as a volunteer at one of our Habitat ReStores
- giving gently used furniture, appliances, décor or building supplies to one of our Habitat ReStores
- shopping at our Habitat ReStores. Profits from Habitat ReStores go to funding Habitat for Humanity programs, projects and operations in Southeast BC.
Habitat for Humanity Southeast BC is planning to develop four units of multi-family housing, in partnership with the City of Castlegar, at 560 – 8th Street.
Habitat for Humanity believes that access to safe, decent and affordable housing is a basic human right that should be available to all.
Over the last decade the demand for affordable housing in the Kootenay Boundary region has been dramatically increasing. Affordable housing already in limited supply, has become even more so in recent years and months, making affordable homeownership an impossible dream for most low to moderate-income families.
City of Castlegar Partnership
This Habitat housing development will support the City of Castlegar in reaching its affordable housing goals. The project is the collaborative result of Habitat’s proposal to the City in response to the City’s 2020 Request for Proposal # 2020-06 Affordable Housing – City Owned Sites. Vacant land and the adjacent unused road allowance have been identified and approved to be transferred to Habitat for Humanity for this affordable housing project by Castlegar City Council. Habitat is grateful to the City of Castlegar for making this project possible through their contribution of the vacant property at 560 8th Street.
Habitat homes provide affordable Home Ownership
The homes are designed in accordance with the Habitat for Humanity Canada Guidelines, and Partner Families will be selected that meet Habitat’s housing eligibility requirements for affordable home ownership. Please click here for more information on eligibility requirements.
Housing Project Features
The multi-family housing development is planned to be functional, attractive, energy and water use efficient, healthy, low maintenance, and ultimately an asset to the City of Castlegar. The design is consistent with the basic mission and goals of Habitat for Humanity – simple, decent, affordable housing for families in need.
Landscaping will ensure a “water wise” or xeriscape (no permanent irrigation) property, and include exterior access for each unit, common areas and bike storage. A common outdoor space will be provided for families to gather and connect. Off-street parking is provided for each unit to ensure the development does not create parking congestion on 8th Street.
Considerations such as building form and character, height, landscaping, screening, and impact on immediate neighbors have been considered in design and integration into the neighborhood.
Pedestrian Right of Way
Of importance to the surrounding community is a right-of-way for a pedestrian walkway has been that has been included along the northern property boundary. This will allow for a pathway similar to current use by local residents through the undeveloped 8th Street road allowance.
The housing project is funded by Habitat for Humanity and its funding partners. Major funders and other donors to be shared via future announcement. The vacant land has been provided by the City of Castlegar for the purpose of building affordable housing.
Habitat for Humanity Southeast BC is family-focused, family-centered and family-involved. We expect that with this new 8th Street housing development, by early 2023, four local families will take occupancy of their own decent, stable and affordable home, providing benefit for the whole community.
YOU Can help to increase affordable housing for home ownership in Castlegar and Southeast BC:
- give funds to support the project costs
- give building materials or other needed goods to support the project
- give your skills and time as a volunteer on the project build site
- give your time as a volunteer at one of our Habitat ReStores
- give gently used furniture, appliances, décor or building supplies to one of our Habitat ReStores
- shop at our Habitat ReStores. Profits from Habitat ReStores go to funding Habitat for Humanity programs, projects and operations in Southeast BC.
To be a part of the project and to make a financial contribution to the build campaign, click on any of the “DONATE” links throughout our website.
If your Business or community group would like to support our build, please reach out to our Director of Resource Development, John Campbell – email: email@example.com phone: 250-777-8677